I am writing to let you know that from the 1st of June 2020 we are planning to reopen Alphabet House Nursery Worksop to more children. We will only be able to do this provided that government guidelines allow us, that we consider it safe and that the rate of Covid-19 infection continues to decrease.
Obviously, the health and safety of your children and our staff is our main priority and we will be putting into place lots of carefully planned measures to ensure everyone is as safe as possible, including:
- Nobody with symptoms will be permitted to come to Nursery.
- Children will play and learn in much smaller groups (3-4s - 12, 0-3s - 6) with 2 members of staff per group. We will do our best to make sure that these groups don’t change and/or mix at all within nursery. Social distancing is not possible for children under 5, so restricting the number of other people we come into contact with is an important way to reduce risk.
- Numbers of children will be limited and priority will be given to vulnerable families, children of key workers, children of other parents who need to go back to work and older children who will be going to school in September – in that order.
- Drop off and pick up times will be staggered and children will be welcomed by staff at the nursery doors from outside. Parents will not be permitted to enter the nursery, so settling children will need to be done outside and in the entrance lobby at a safe distance from other people. Again, this will reduce contact between children, staff and families.
- Children will remain in their rooms to eat, in their small groups. If they bring their own packed lunch, they will be asked not to share food with other children.
- Hand washing will happen often for everyone. Your child will be supported to wash their hands on arrival (and/or use sanitizer), before and after eating, before and after playing outside and before going home – lots of hand washing, so we will use sensitive soap to protect children’s skin.
- Children will be supported as much as possible to follow the guidance on good respiratory practice – catching any coughs or sneezes in a tissue and putting it straight in the bin, then washing hands (again!) We will also encourage children not to touch their faces.
- Some resources such as sand will not be used, there will be not play in water; and most of soft toys and furnishings will be removed from the rooms, so that we are able to keep things as clean as possible. The sleeping mats will be sanitized after every use.
- Cleaning will be much more rigorous, especially in high use areas. Everything will be cleaned thoroughly between sessions with antibacterial spray and again at the end of each day. Staff will use antibacterial wipes to clean toilets, tables, chairs and toys after use throughout the day.
To provide you with even more peace of mind, all our practitioners have completed both Covid-19 and Infection Prevention Trainings, to help them deal with everyday challenges of virus control at our Nursery.
We do appreciate that as a parent you may decide that you do not want your child to come back to Nursery. This is of course entirely your choice and we will respect your decision.
We will not charge those of you who usually pay for childcare, should your choice be to keep your child at home.
We would like you to consider very carefully what you would like to do and be ready to let us know on Tuesday, 26th May, when we call to ask you. Please pick up the phone (we won’t call too early, don’t worry!) and staff will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Please be aware that depending on numbers, a place for your child from 1st June is not guaranteed. We will be prioritising places for families as above.
We are asking that once you decide on the number of session and times in a week, you don’t change them. This will allow us to accommodate as many families as possible and keep our Nursery safe for everyone. Please be considerate and only request what you need at the moment.
There is a lot to think about and should you require more information, the following provide access to the Government guidance:
Implementing protective measures in education and childcare settings
Opening schools and educational settings to more pupils from 1st June – guidance for parents and carers
Also – if you have specific questions that you would like to ask us before Tuesday, please email us on:
Our situation and plans for reopening to more children are under constant review. We hope you understand that whilst we will do our best to work with you and deliver the provision that you need, we may, in the best interests of everyone, need to withdraw the offer at any time.
Have a lovely long weekend and we look forward to speaking to you all on Tuesday.
Magda, Howard and the Nursery Team